Smart Horizons Career Online Education became the world’s first AdvancED/SACS accredited online school district in February of 2011. Based in Pensacola, FL, this innovative company offers both high school-age and adult learners the opportunity to earn an 18-credit high school diploma and credentialed career certificate in one comprehensive online program.
In the past three weeks, SHCOE has seen a 22 percent increase in enrollment numbers.
“We are accelerating to the next level very rapidly as our unique online career education model captures more and more attention through the many key partnerships we have formed and continue to form,” said Dr. Howard Liebman, CEO and Superintendent of SHCOE. “We are reaching a critical mass in both students and education partners and it is very exciting to envision future growth.”
Dr. Liebman cited several significant factors that will continue to spur SHCOE’s growth over the next few months and beyond:
- The recent launch of Smart Horizons Career Online High School (SHCOHS) at the Madison Correctional Institution of Madison, FL as the first step in SHCOE’s collaboration with the Florida Department of Corrections
- The upcoming launch of SHCOHS at the Lowell Correctional Institution in Lowell, FL due to further demand
- The recent partnership with ed2go, part of Cengage Learning, to launch the “Bridge to Start” program for students interested in transitioning into a post-secondary career training insitution
- Expanding the SHCOE program to 22 new campuses through Anthem College–one of the nation’s largest and most prestigious career college systems
- Partnering with two of the pre-eminent “lead generation” providers in the U.S.–DMI Partners and U.S. News University Connection
- Transitioning into this year’s “peak” credit recovery time period for students (i.e., SHCOE’s Summer School Program)
- Changes to Federal “Ability to Benefit” legislation that will take place on July 1st, 2012 that will be very favorable for SHCOE
“There are many great things ahead for SHCOE,” Dr. Liebman said. “We have an exceptionally dedicated and professional team in place and I am grateful for each and every one of them. Two years ago, this was just a concept and now it is a reality that is impacting many people’s lives. It is very exciting for all of us.”